“The secret to shapely shoulders is looking at the whole upper third of your body: neck, arms, back and shoulders,” says performance coach Dalton Wong. “Just three simple exercises can contour your arms, lift up your posture and instantly make you look a size smaller.”
* Let your arms hang down and turn your thumbs out.
* Raise your arms like a bird’s wings to create a T-shape.
* Squeeze between your shoulder blades and keep your core engaged.
Trainer tip: “Perform each T-bird slowly, starting with 10 and building up to 20,” says Dalton. “Then try holding a 1kg weight, or a 1litre bottle of water, in each hand.”
* From kneeling, bend your elbows and lower your chest to the ground with control.
* Punch up until your elbows are straight.
* Remember to engage your abs and between your shoulder blades.
Trainer tip: “Start with 10, and work up to doing this exercise for a full minute,” says Dalton. “As you get stronger, try doing full military push-ups.”
* Sink into a half-squat, fists at your armpits and 1kg weight in each hand.
* Sharply punch out your left arm, fist in line with your shoulder.
* Fight the good fight for 30 seconds, alternating arms and striking clean, firm punches.
Trainer tip: “Squeeze your navel against your spine to avoid straining your back, and build up to boxing for one minute,” advises Dalton.